Saturday 4 January 2014

First Saturday of 2014 in Kolkata Preparing for Distance Running

I reached a bit late last night to Howrah and so to my host's place, but he was there to welcome me. The moment I walked into the alley, a dog came onto me and sniffed if I am a potential threat or not. I and my host walked up in a 100 year old British building, which has his store, a political office and a boy's dorm with couple of more rooms that are unused for now. There I met a young man with whom I happen to chat till 1 AM. Well, I had to sleep early to get up early for a jog in the morning, so I did at 1:30 AM.



Morning is always beautiful in City of Joy, the yellow cabs, tea hawkers on the corners, fruit vendors, newspaper hawkers, labors and all the hustle-bustle that one can imagine here. So I started to run, after 4 km it was traffic, so I had to come back. On the way I found some delicious fruits and bought some. The city certainly starts very early in full throttle because there was a lot of movement on the road. Anyway, I came back and freshened up; by 9:30 the breakfast came, which was a surprise for me for many reason.

Anyway, after the breakfast I went downstairs and met my host and his lovely wife. We chatted for sometime and thereafter I had to go to Park-Street to collect my bib and t-shirt. My host had to go for a rider's social responsibility event, so he dropped me close to where I needed to go. I reached to the designated place, but they redirected me to another location, which was right beside where my friend dropped me. It was definitely irritating because I had to walk around 3 Km to find out the location. Anyway, I registered myself with the invoice mail that I received when I deposited the money yesterday. I also got a green t-shirt as well, I wonder; why on earth someone would have green t-shirts for marathon. Couldn't they come up with something else; like blue, sky blue, purple, black, white. At least it wasn't pink, or else I would have fainted :-P

I texted my friend that I got it and I headed to see a very old friend to Kalighat. It was more than 10 year that we saw each-other, so it was exciting for both of us. I met him and we chatted for very long. The late lunch happened in a restaurant, which apparently has the painting "Gaja-Gamini" made by M. F. Hussain. Hard to believe but I saw it with my own eyes.

It took me sometime to reach back home because I was lost in the small alleys of Kolkata. With a busy day behind me, the night would get over soon, while the day will start early for me and my friend tomorrow.

Goodnight!!!

~ Raghu Raj Murmu

1 comment: